Robots taking over humans is not a new phenomenon any longer. But, was it able to keep up the hype which was expected is a question OR did we overly expect of it?
There is no doubt that Artificial Intelligence and Robotics domain has reached immence developments during last few decades and would continue to play a key role in the global development in the future as well. However still some concern are raised such over the best utilization of AI knowledge; whether the AI research and development has looked into actual demands of the society or was it too academic? Was the general society mis-conceptualized that artificial intelligence means only robots that resembles human and hence no excitement brought by simple AI applications? Is there a failure of popularization front in bringing the achievements of AI into the general public? And most importantly is there sufficient knowledge transfer and education opportunities for youth who should grab the baton for tomorrow?
Sri Lankan context is much worse in every aspect. Therefore, it would be essential to introduce whole new series of education opportunities for Sri Lankan youth to jump into and swim through the AI and robotics sea of knowledge. Advanced Certificate in AI and Robotics is the foundation that would lay the base of that continuous process and expected to build a core group of intelligent youth who would be driven for real success in AI and robotics.
This program will provide fundamental but broad understanding of building intelligent systems and will cover artificial intelligence principles, robot operating systems, software programs, techniques and tools of AI and robotics, etc.
1 yrs (3 Semesters)
Blended Learning; Face-to-Face and Online
Weekends; Four (4) hours
Assignments – 40%
Exams – 60%
At the end of the programme, students are able:
– Learn how artificial intelligence and robotics are playing vital roles in the world’s advanced technological industries.
– Apply the basic principles, models, and algorithms of AI to recognize, model, and solve problems in the analysis and design systems.
– Understand the basic principles of neural networks.
– Learn how to design and build a simple robotic application.
– Mathematics 1
– Essentials of Digital Technology
– Fundamentals of Electronics
– Engineering Design
– Embedded Systems and Programming
– Automation and Control Systems
– Machine Learning and AI
Individual/ Group Project
– Obtain a minimum of 6 passes in the GCE Ordinary Level (Local Syllabus) with Credit passes in Mathematics and English
– Passed/ Sat GCE Advanced Level (Local Syllabus) in any Stream (Technology stream or Mathematics Stream are most preferred)
– Cambridge or Edexcel 5 Passes including Mathematics and English